Another examples of the screen refresh problem on the Mac?

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 15:39:38 EDT 2011

On 10/10/2011 10:22 PM, James Hurley wrote:
> I suspect this is a problem peculiar to the Mac.
>
> When I run:
>
>     set the lockmoves to true
>     move grc "Oval" to tPoints without waiting
>     move grc "rectangle" to tNewPoints without waiting
>     set the lockmoves to false
>
> The oval moves reasonably smoothly, but the rectangle take several abrupt steps.
>
> Is this another manifestation of the screen refresh problem on the Mac? Normally I intersperse a "unlock screen" command to force a screen refresh, but I can't do that with the "move" command.

I don't really know; but I set up a plain vanilla stack "Mover" with a
rectangular graphic
and an oval graphic; "rekt" and "oval" respectively; the card containing
this script:

on mouseDown
   move grc "rekt" to the mouseLoc without waiting
end mouseDown

on mouseUp
   move grc "rekt" to the mouseLoc without waiting
end mouseUp

all this on a merry old PPC MacMini running 10.4.11

and, frankly didn't notice anything particularly different about the way the
two graphics moved............... this may say something about your
Macintosh or

if you wish you may download the stack here:

http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/richmond/BOX/Mover.rev.zip

of course one can also have quite a spot of vaguely infantile fun
playing around with it.