[UBUNTU] running LiveCode on 11.x

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Oct 8 10:04:39 EDT 2011

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> Cannot say I like either GNOME 3 or Unity; am holding onto what Ubuntu coyly
> calls "GNOME Classic" as long as possible.
>
> If I have to, I will migrate to XFCE.

I use Ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop for the same reason you do:  the first
iteration of Unity in 11.04 was bunk.  There, I said it.  Unified
menubar makes sense; hiding it by default makes no sense.

While Canonical's been fixing Unity I spent some time with Gnome Shell.
  Kinda like it.  Still takes some getting used to if you've been using
Linux a while, but in many respects more polished than Unity's debut
version.

I used XFCE in Xubuntu on an old machine here for a while to try out
that distro (that machine has since moved on to Ubuntu Server).  If
you're looking for the "classic" Linux experience, XFCE delivers, and
well.  Lighter and more responsive than either Unity or Gnome Shell,
it's an excellent choice for older hardware.

But as a UI guy I'm fascinated by the ongoing evolution of DEs, and look
forward to the release of Ubuntu 11.10 in the next week or so.
Following the design discussions on the Ayatana list and playing with
the betas, it looks like Unity's finally becoming the useful UI it was
always intended to be but had previously fallen short.

There are still some things I'd change in Unity, but then again I have a
wish list for OS X and Win8 as well.  At least with Unity, I have the
opportunity to do more than just wish:  as a community project I can
participate directly in the design process, submitting ideas and
contributing to those submitted by others.

Richmond, if you have time and interest you may consider creating an
account with Canonical's LaunchPad and diving in.  With so many people
involved it's not like any of us can dictate what we want, but we can
work with the community to assist the evolution of the UI in ways that
are impossible with closed systems.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World