CBT using LiveCode - Computer Based Training

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Fri Oct 7 15:45:48 EDT 2011

Hi Bob,

On 10/7/11 9:35 AM, Bob Earp wrote:
> Phil,
> I'm not sure what you mean by "... a web version of the content delivery part, to free users from having to install software ...", particularly the latter part.  One of the advantages of LiveCode is that you can deliver eLearning content as a stand-alone without the need to load anything.
The stand-alone is the software they want to avoid installing. Hence the problem.

In the system I maintain, content is developed using a desktop app, which can
then convert the desktop training to a complete web deliverable, zip and upload
it to a server. Then it tells a server script about the uploaded training, and
the server takes it from there.

> In my experience the decision to go web-based or not is a complex one based on how media rich one wants the content vs. ease of distribution, but nothing to do with having to load something on a users computer.

Except in my client's case. Some US government agencies want his training, but
often their IT depts will not allow ANYTHING they have not invented or blessed
to be installed on an agency computer. And getting them to bless your product
requires a Class 2 miracle. So a browser-based, no-plugins-required training
course is about the only viable option remaining.

> It's complex because of the fear of loss of control of the content, the desire to rapidly distribute changes in content (that rarely happens), and the misunderstanding that delivering large and high quality media over the web or an intranet just takes time.

Yes. You have clearly been down that road!

Phil