Object naming conventions

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Fri Oct 7 12:54:01 EDT 2011

Thanks for the thoughts Bob.

For those who have replied, here's the reason behind the question.

I'm about to ask for beta testers for an LC tool that greatly speeds up the
development of applications that use SQL databases.  Part of the tool is a
palette of controls that you can drag and drop onto your cards, answer a
couple of easy questions and the control will be linked to your database.
 Right now, I use a naming convention for controls so that the tool's
runtime library can recognize controls that are significant to it.

My concern is that I'm imposing my naming convention on anyone who wants to
make use of the tool.  Whether you'd be willing to give up your naming
conventions in exchange for the productivity gains you'll get from using the
tool - that's the question.

I'm considering providing an alternative by using a custom property of the
control to store the info I need and let people name the controls according
to their own conventions.  But that is a fair amount of coding and retesting
to be done so I thought I would try to gauge the sentiment on naming
conventions before starting down that path.  Hopefully, that doesn't break
any forum rules.

Pete