Object Naming Conventions

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Thu Oct 6 23:06:18 EDT 2011

On Oct 6, 2011, at 8:03 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> control        prefix   example
> ---------------------------
> buttons       : "btn" : "btnSave"
> radio buttons : "rdo" : "rdoOption1"
> checkboxes    : "chk" : "chkShowLineNumbers"
> tab buttons   : "mnu" : "mnuMainTabForm"
> fields        : "fld" : "fldHandlers"
> labels        : "lbl" : "lblSourceCode"
> groups        : "grp" : "grpGraphicControls"

I tend to use prefixes like this only when they aren't already abbreviations for an existing object in LC. So for example, I would use the "lbl" prefix for label field names, but not the "fld" prefix since I'm already using "fld" as the object abbreviation:

   put fld "fldStuff" into tData  -- is a bit redundant for me
   put fld "Stuff" into tData  -- ah, that's better... :D

Of course, each person has the style that works best for them, so use what you like and ditch what you don't...

;)

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com