CBT using LiveCode - Computer Based Training

Bob Earp rjearp at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 18:39:13 EDT 2011

Dear Alejandro,
I've been using LiveCode for CBT/eLearning for quite some time, and before that pretty much every system that has been built to author CBT going back to CDC's Plato that could only run on custom hardware, as did some of its successors such as WICAT.  With some great colleagues, I've also built CBT authoring systems (now more commonly referred to as Content Management Systems - CMS's) in HyperCard, SuperCard, SK8, ToolBook & now Rev/LiveCode, which have been used to deliver stand-alone & networked learning, some of them with custom LMS's for access management and record keeping.  Most of the subjects being technical and a lot of them including reasonably high level simulations, such as aircraft and power generation/distribution systems, but some more into soft skills.

These days, when given the choice, I tend to only use the authoring system we've created in LiveCode as it allows us to do pretty much everything including complex simulations with lots of interaction, and of course developing on a platform of choice and delivering on all platforms.  Actually the latter is not exactly true as we've yet to migrate our system to deliver on mobile devices, but that's in the works.

I say "when given the choice" because there is a large element of business/industry who are neophytes at learning ( despite their jobs and titles ;-)  )  who will try to use things like Flash and (these days) Articulate, which is an abomination of an abomination.  Meaning PowerPoint with an inaccessible VB wrapper.   Sorry, I should not vent like that, but I've spent too many hours wrestling with it's "anomalies" (read that as bugs) only to be forced to deliver a page-turning piece of junk just because a customer knows best and has a crappy PowerPoint presentation they've been promised will be the best CBT in the world with a couple of clicks of a mouse.  Grrr....

LiveCode is a great way tool to use, but please don't follow Kevin's suggestion to go the "gameification" route.  Sorry Kevin, it doesn't work for the majority of people, young and old......

Your seemingly simple questions have long and detailed answers due to so many variables, and I didn't wish to bore most of the group.  I've most probably done that anyway !!   I'm happy to continue the discussion off line, but if there are more people interested we can continue it here.  In the meantime, here's my quick answers to your questions;

 - In theory, this is a very straightforward kind of software, but I am sure that exists certain particularities about which I am not fully aware.

It's not straight forward when you consider the navigation and tracking requirements, plus you have to find a balance between the skills of instructional designers (the users) and the functionality of the authoring system.  These are diagonally opposed in most cases.

- For example:
- How long should I support this software? Months or Years?

Plan on your life time, although in practice the first 3 years is enough as the learning requirement will change along with the customers organization.  We've got stuff we still support after 15 years, but that's not the norm.

- How much should add to total cost, a version for different Operating system?

Zero additional cost for each operating systems if you build a decent authoring system in LiveCode.

- What is the limit to the number of revisions that I should make to a CBT program, before billing as a whole new software?

This is a very difficult one to answer.  I wouldn't think you need to consider "a whole new software" unless the scope becomes "whole new".   To manage change you need extremely strong project management skills and a well defined contract.  It is common practice to take things in development stages with the customer signing off on each stage (within a defined period) before moving on to the next stage.  A lot of eLearning developers will put penalty clauses in the contract to "encourage" customers to live by the schedule they agree to, but in my experience this does not stop customers delaying their decisions and changing their mind.  Although we do add such words to our agreements, I think it's better to have a first class development process and build a strong relationship with the customer before starting the project.

HTH.

best, Bob...

Bob Earp
Ashford Technologies Inc., White Rock, British Columbia.