new iPhone 4s

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Oct 5 13:08:51 EDT 2011

On 10/5/11 11:34 AM, Colin Holgate wrote:

> Android:
>
> 1. Touch the Clock in the lower right.
> 2. In the popup that appears there are some sliders to the right. Touch those.
> 3. In the popup that appears, touch Settings at the bottom.
> 4. Touch Applications in the list on the left.
> 5. Touch Manage applications at the top of the list on the right.
> 6. In the next screen, touch Running on the right.
> 7. This next step can take a while, because it lists all of the processes running. Scroll through the list to find the app you want to close, and touch that.
> 8. There may be more than one sub process listed. Touch Stop for each one.
> 9. You're back at the previous list now, scroll until you find the next app you want to close. Touch Stop.
> 10. If greeted with a "Stop system service?" dialog, touch OK.
> 11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 for each of the other apps you want to close.
>
> I have installed "Advanced Task Killer", which does allow me to quickly
 > close all the processes I want, but I'm only comparing the standard
features here.

You're right about most of the steps, but I can reduce the number of
them a bit. I keep the Settings app on my Home screen.

1. Touch Settings
2. Touch Applications.
3. Touch Manage
4. (Touch Running) - most of the time I can skip this since the app is
usually in the default list. That avoids the delay while the OS creates
a new list.
5. Touch the app, touch Stop.
6. Repeat step 5 for any others

But: you shouldn't be closing processes on Android, it's counter
productive. "Running" apps is a misnomer; they use zero resources, and
the OS will close them automatically as necessary. That may be why it
takes so many steps to do it; in practice it is almost never a good
idea. Task killers are now considered harmful and to be avoided:

<http://droid-den.com/android-guides/android-guide-should-i-use-a-task-killer/>

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com