Mobile apps: Where to store web service login details

Gerry Orkin gerry.orkin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 06:35:04 EST 2011

> Thanks Andre, I did look at special folders but it appears the only location on iOS and Android with read/write access is the 'documents' special folder.

The iOS release notes list these locations as valid for files:

home – the (unique) folder containing the application bundle and its associated data and folders

documents – the folder in which the application should store any document data (this folder is backed up by iTunes on sync)

cache – the folder in which the application should store any transient data that needs to be preserved between launches (this folder is not backed up by iTunes on sync)

library – the folder in which the application can store data of various types. In particular, data private to the application should be stored in a folder named with the app's bundle identifier inside library. (this folder is backed up by iTunes on sync).

temporary – the folder in which the application should store any temporary data that is not needed between launches (this folder is not backed up by iTunes on sync)

> This seems a bit 'open' for login details - both in terms of accessibility and the potential for the file to be deleted.

Your app is sandboxed. Every iOS app that stores login details stores those details in one of the valid folders.

> Do I guess correctly that there is then additional LiveCode magic dust (that I haven't learned about yet) which can be applied to the files to protect / hide / encrypt them when in such a seemingly open folder? :-)

You files are encrypted (as I recently discovered). Check out this forum thread: http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9468&sid=b17306c823b589abcc24e7954ce81884

Cheers

Gerry