ANN: Harmonic Oscillators

James Hurley jhurley0305 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 9 00:45:35 EST 2011

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 15:05:13 -0800
> From: Roger Guay <irog at mac.com>
> To: use-livecode at lists.runrev.com
> Subject: ANN: Harmonic Oscillators
>

> Not so much an exhaustive physics/math tutorial as a demonstration of some techniques for doing these types of simulations/animations in LiveCode.
>
> Unfortunately, I was unable to upload to RevOnlin after repeated attempts, and did not get any feedback on my query about my difficulties with it. Therefore if you want a copy of Harmonic Oscillators, you'll have to go to my download page:
>

> 										http://web.me.com/irog/Roger_Guay/Downloads.html
>
> Cheers,
> Roger Guay

Roger,

The simulation makes for a good tutorial.

Here is another that may interest you.

Newton considered, as a thought experiment, a cannon ball fired from the top of a VERY high mountain. With ever increasing muzzle velocity he speculated that the canon ball would eventually circle the Earth, thus simulating the motion of the moon about the Earth.

(See: http://waowen.screaming.net/revision/force&motion/ncanon.htm)

You might try  1/r, 1/r^2, 1/r^3 gravitational forces to see which produces the observed results.

Jim