handler to connect buttons with a line

Kresten Bjerg Kresten.Bjerg at psy.ku.dk
Wed Nov 2 06:37:02 EDT 2011

To James
Thank you for new reply to my first question
Because month-shift and time-differences you missed my followup:
I repeat it here
The previous replies suggested to produce new buttons and  specify new scripts for the buttons.
But the buttons will  already be named and produced by the user and come with a script of their own, with mouseups,  Mousewithin, mousestilldown and doomed before user will get to line-connect them.
The solution therefore has to follow another way, suggested outside this list by Mark Schonewille, and by Glen Boysza, namely to organize using only the custom property functions.
Thus, what I need is a "superior" handler, which will permit the user to pair and  "bond" their own  buttons in a flexible network :  a handler, (to place in a special button), which can implement all  such  pairings:

a)      direct user of standalone to click first button, then to  click second button, (select two arbitrary buttons)

b)      create their connecting line

c)       put the two button IDs into line customvariable and

d)       lineID into the customvariables of each of the two buttons (without deleting previous lineIDs !)

Unfortunately I don't have the skills to script this, - so I am hoping someone on the list, with better skills,  might give it a try.