Simple Game Server -- request for help

Jim Lyons jimlyons at earthlink.net
Mon May 30 19:31:14 EDT 2011

Alex, thanks for the info, very helpful. Thanks also to Stephen, Mark, and Björnke. It sounds like I am back to the original idea, a slow polling arrangement with a simple http/CGI server. This will do for the immediate need, which is just for some programming students to play around with.

I saw from Björnke's chat server that I should be looking at IRC protocol for anything more sophisticated. It looks like there are some Simple Scripts at On-Rev I can look into for that. (I don't have private server to use.) Thanks again for the pointers. I will report back if I happen to make any progress with this.

Jim

On May 30, 2011, at 7:12 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> But if you don't have (or don't want to require) a private server, then it is quite feasible to do it all with http.
>
> You don't need to do simple "second-by-second" polling. You can do what I call "slow polling" ....
<snip>