[OT] Pirate software in Germany?

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Sat May 21 20:31:13 EDT 2011

On 22 May 2011, at 00:15, John Dixon wrote:
> I don't really want to get into this, but have a read of the arguments put forward here...
> http://blog.talkingphilosophy.com/?p=2669

I read that long winded ramble. He's not actually talking about fraud vs theft. Instead, he's talking about the morality value of defrauding various things, and stealing various things. He's also making a false argument, by extending software 'theft' into a dozen other similar things, and then saying "it's so silly to extend this argument about software 'theft' into a dozen other, similar things".

My own take is that it's fraud, and there's nothing taken from the defrauded in material value, similar to how stealing a credit card number is fraud, but not theft, until you actually use it for getting the money out of the other persons bank account.

Now fraud is not a gentleman crime or anything, but I feel that the government shouldn't prosecute teenagers and seniors, just because they don't know how to hide their fraudulent software from others. Especially proactive persecution should not be done in such cases, where all that's at stake is some money for a company that they might or might not make.

On the other hand, if people where unable to pirate Microsoft software, maybe linux on the desktop could actually happen xD

cheers
Björnke

PS: As for the 'points' made by bob, he obviously lives in a very scary world. I wish him to get better soon. Maybe then he can realise that the world is a much nicer, more complex and more colourful place then he always imagined in his head.