[OT] fon.nu feature set is getting famous

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Sat May 14 23:53:24 EDT 2011

Hello Folks,

During RunRevLive.11, more precisely at 4:00 AM in the morning, I created
fon.nu, a minimalist url shortening service. I created that because at 9:00
AM on the same day, I was going to give a presentation on social networks
and wanted the URLs on my slides to be short. So, fon.nu domain was cheap
and I quickly created some easy code. In the following weeks, I've been
using my own url shortening service more and more and added more features to
it.

Today I was checking my referrals in Google Analytics and I saw traffic
comming from yourls project page. Yourls is an open source project for url
shortening, you can install it on your own service and create your own
version of a bitly-like service for example. When I went to the referral
link to see how people were being driven from there to my own
fon.nuservice, I saw something that made me very happy. One of their
users saw
value in some features that I think may be unique do fon.nu such as single
use URLs and the like so he opened an enhancement request in yourls project
page to add features from fon.nu to yourls. The developers refused with a
very good answer, yourls has a plugin architecture so those features could
easily be made into a plugin and thus the enhancement was rejected but
still, seeing my little toy project used with an enhancement request for a
major open source project made me smile.

http://fon.nu is created with LiveCode server deployment, it is just 2 files
of LiveCode code and the RevSpark libraries. It works great and now it is
inspiring some people...

check out the enhancement request at:
http://code.google.com/p/yourls/issues/detail?id=798&can=1&q=fon.nu

:-D