Dictionary usage and IDE hang

David Glass dglass at graymattercomputing.com
Thu May 12 20:32:41 EDT 2011

Here's an oddity that I haven't been able to narrow down yet, but it is
causing me a lot of lost work.  Looking for any insights or thoughts on
why or what is happening.

OS X 10.6.7, LC 4.6.1

I have the LC Dictionary open almost constantly.  Enough that it is
easier to leave it open than to close and re-open every time.

Sometimes, not sure what the trigger is, when I go to the search field
and start to delete my previous search term, it won't delete, and the
entire IDE becomes unresponsive.  In order to clear this issue I have to
Force Quit LC, which obviously causes me to lose any work I've done
since I last saved.  I'm not yet in the habit of saving my work every
time I go to use the Dictionary, but I have a feeling I'm going to get
there.

The Dock contextual menu reports LC as 'Application Not Responding'
although it is not reported that way in the Force Quit window (listing
the running applications).

On one occasion when I started to delete my search term, the focus
jumped to the object inspector, and I ended up deleting the name of the
card (the object that had the focus last, maybe?).

I *think* the focus is jumping to someplace I can't see, and I'm
deleting, or attempting to delete, something that either shouldn't be
deleted, or can't be deleted, and it is putting the IDE into an unstable
state.

Possibly related, I've noticed that if I 'close and remove from memory'
a stack using the contextual menu in the Application Browser I get
similar behavior.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

--
David Glass - Gray Matter Computing