s anyone using HTC Desire with LiveCode Android

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue May 10 19:09:19 EDT 2011

On 5/10/11 5:35 PM, Matthias Rebbe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is anyone using a HTC Desire with LiveCode Android?  For whatever
> reason my HTC is not shown under "Development->Test Target"  in
> LiveCode. i checked and USB Debuging is enabled on the HTC.

I had a terrible time getting my Archos to appear, it took 3 days of
googling and tinkering the first time. You need to use adb and a
terminal window to see if the device has mounted. If it appears there,
it will appear in the LiveCode IDE.

This worked for me, maybe something in here will help:

If adb is running, shut it down.
Turn on debugging on the device (Settings -> Applications -> Development).
*Restart the device*. That was important for me, I had to shut down and
reboot my Archos before debugging mode worked.

Launch adb. (Double-click "android" in the tools folder.) Don't open any
emulators.

Open a new terminal window.
Do a "cd" to the platform-tools folder on your hard drive (so you won't
have to type the full path for other commands.)

Type: ./adb kill-server (to make sure all servers are gone)
Plug in the device via the USB cable. Wait a moment.
Type: ./adb devices

If successful, your device ID should appear. Once it does, you should be
able to launch LiveCode and see it in the Test Target menu.

After your device is enabled, you can also open an emulator if you want
and both that and the device will be in LiveCode's test menu. You can
alternate between them.

One last thing: most devices work as-is, but my Archos required a
special setup. I had to open the .android folder in my Home directory,
and edit the adb_usb.ini file to add an Archos-specific identifier.
Without that, the device just wouldn't mount. Check the web to see if
your HTC Desire needs something similar. It probably won't, most devices
don't, but without that magic spell I couldn't proceed.

Note that all the Android devices the RR team uses will mount
automatically without any of the above, they just plug them in and it
works. I wasn't so lucky.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com