Russian (UTF-8) in LC 4.6

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Sat May 7 20:40:33 EDT 2011

Hi Slava,

You can set the label but not the name of button to a unicode string. In LiveCode, you always use UTF16. If you have a UTF8 string, you need to convert it to UTF16 before you can use it in LiveCode. To convert a UTF8 string to UTF16, use the following syntax:

put uniEncode(myUTF8StringVar,"UTF8") into myUTF16StringVar

and to convert from UTF16 to UTF8 use

put uniDecode(myUTF16StringVar,"UTF8") into myUTF8StringVar

I think that it should be possible to assign a cyrillic string to a variable in a script, but it won't be easy. It is easier to keep your data in fields or custom properties.

There might be a LiveCode version that handles unicode text better in the future, but if you have to deliver a project anytime soon, I wouldn't wait for that new version.

Btw you can set the unicodeTitle of a stack.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com