GLXFramework

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed May 4 15:35:42 EDT 2011

On 5/4/11 2:17 PM, william humphrey wrote:
> Tod - you're comments about Framework are excellent. I too wish that
> LiveCode chose Framework as the fully supported way to work with
> applications. I integrate a Valentina database into my application and find
> it truely difficult to make stand-alone builds for Windows and MacOS
> although I find the LiveCode developer environment terrific.

Just to play devil's advocate: I find that GLX is overkill for almost
all the apps I create. I prefer to use only code that actually applies
to my project. I have my own set of common handlers and functions that I
insert as needed, which keeps my apps small and compact.

Don't get me wrong, GLX is excellent for what it does, but for me it
isn't the best way or even the preferred way most of the time. If we had
an "officially-sactioned" framework it would tend to become the default,
to the exclusion of simpler methods where they are more appropriate. GLX
is one choice, and ideally there would be others to choose from, or none
at all.

The final argument against an official framework is that people would
tend to use it without understanding the underlying concepts involved.
Once you have those, building an app isn't really that difficult.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com