Is HTML text string within current scrolling visible area of browser window?

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 27 20:25:11 EDT 2011

On Mar 27, 2011, at 12:27 PM, Keith Clarke wrote:

> Jim, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head, here. That's
> exactly what I want to do - except that as I don't control the page
> source, I can't insert marker tags or strings of my own. However,
> there are unique strings that I know will be present on specific
> pages. So, if I could do a simple check of whether they are 'in
> view' in the scrolling browser window, I'd be very happy.
>
> Is there a magic bit of technical jargon that I could use in place
> of 'in view' to tempt Google to be more forthcoming on what's
> involved?

you are getting pretty much into the land of 'private published
specialty material'
By that I mean that your topic will be something discussed by an
author in one of his books, rather than covered where Google can index
it.

You can try   'not hidden'  or  'visible'

I don't know your time frame, but
   you could visit the sites of a few JQuery gurus, etc and ask the
question directly.
Another source is a JavaScript or JQuery forum where the moderators
will know or point you in the right direction.

A third idea is to join one of the LISTSERV groups.  These threads
aren't usually indexed by Google since they are strictly email based
and not picked up by Gmane, etc.
   You can search/join here
            http://www.lsoft.com/lists/listref.html

Hope this helps.