Formatting individual words in a text field manually

Keith Clarke keith.clarke at clarkeandclarke.co.uk
Mon Mar 21 15:14:37 EDT 2011

Hi folks,
I realise it may be anathema to ask a development community how to do things manually but I'm creating a concept prototype and want to show example results from scripts, without having to write them all yet (before I get the budget!).
So, what is the easiest way to manually format an individual word in a text field - to embolden, colour or add a hyperlink? Is there maybe a development plug-in that works as a rich text editor?
Best,
Keith..