mySQL and defaults

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Mar 18 12:02:15 EDT 2011

Right sorry I discovered this last night too. I think the problem was the Sequel Quotes. For some reason I was replacing not only double quotes with ` but single ones too. Trouble is, you cannot wrap default values in `. Also, the reference manual says that text types did not support DEFAULT. I assumed (much to my chagrin) that varchar was a text type.

I found that a quick way to tell if my sequel is good is to step through the code until I have my statement, then copy the sequel fom the variable browser into the query editor in MySQLWorkbench. It will put a red X at the first line that has bad syntax. Very handy for troubleshooting Sequel, especially since when I build my Sequel, I try to isolate each statement on it's own line.

Bob