Text as dragImage

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Mar 15 18:43:43 EDT 2011

On Mar 15, 2011, at 4:34 PM, Monte Goulding wrote:

>> I thought that was precisely what setting the dragAction did!
>
> You can't set the dragAction to 12837 like you can with a cursor. There's also more to dragAction than just a cursor. You might want a dragAction of copy but a custom cursor or no cursor at all if you are using a dragImage and some other indicator of precise placement.

Right, that's what I discovered. For all drag actions the cursor starts out as the 'prohibited' symbol and an arrowhead, plus a dragImage if you have set one. If you use "copy" as the dragAction the cursor changes to the 'plus' cursor and the dragImage when it enters a legal drop control; for "move" it changes to a plain arrow cursor and the dragImage upon entering the drop control; and for "link" it changes to a curved arrow cursor and the dragImage when entering the drop control.

This happened to work fine for my current project, but I agree with Monte--I'd like the option of no cursor at all or a custom cursor during drag operations.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University