Having fits with the menu bar

James Hurley jhurley0305 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 12 13:25:39 EST 2011

Thanks Jacque. Now I'm marking some progress.

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 01:02:46 -0600
> From: "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>
> To: How to use LiveCode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>
> Subject: Re: Having fits with the menu bar
>
> On 3/11/11 7:13 PM, James Hurley wrote:
>>

>> I'm getting  nowhere with the menu bar. (Mac OS)
>>
>> I have two item in the menu bar, a "File" menu and a "Help" menu.
>> They both work as expected in the IDE.
>>
>> But when I set the menubar property of the stack to the name of the
>> menu bar group, the menu disappears.
>
> You mean, besides the expected roll-up?
>
>> If I then check the "Preview in
>> menu bar", I then see two items in the Menu bar. They are:
>>
>> Revolution and File
>>
>> instead of
>>
>> File and Help.
>
> What version are you using? It should say "LiveCode" now. I mean, it
> shouldn't say anything IDE-related, but if it was going to error, it
> should say LiveCode.

I may have been running 4.0 when I did this earlier, but am now working with 4.5.2 and it now reads "LiveCode"

>> The items under "Revolution" and "File" are not the item I put there
>> in the IDE.
>>
>> I have set the style of each button to "menu" and the menuMode to
>> "pulldown"
>
> I think you need to add an Edit menu. All operating systems pretty much
> require one, even if it's disabled. The engine assumes the last item in
> the Edit menu is "Preferences" and tries to move it to the Preferences
> location on OS X, and I'm betting it's getting confused because you
> don't have an Edit menu.

The lack of an Edit menu indeed appears to have been the main problem. I am now up to 3 menus in my menu group, having added an "Edit" menu.

But there are still some issues. In the OSX menu I now see 4 menus only 3 of which are of my doing. They are:

    LiveCode File Edit Help

Under the LiveCode menu I now have Preferences and About, among other things. I had no Preferences item in my menu group. I did have an About item and it has been moved to this LiveCode menu. As has the Quit item that I had under the File menu.

And I now find a "Search" window item under the "Help" menu. Where did that come from?

So.... Is there a way to get rid of the "LiveCode" menu and put those items Quit and About) back where I had placed them?

But I am grateful now just to be making progress. I assume that RunRev was trying to be helpful in creating the menu for the standalone, but their plans were not quite my plans.

Thanks again,

Jim