Efficiency question for list modification

dunbarx at aol.com dunbarx at aol.com
Thu Mar 10 14:18:17 EST 2011

I ran this with a field "rawData" containing 5000 lines:

on mouseUp
   put  the ticks into aa
   put  fld "rawdata" into temp
   put 3 into div1
   put 5 into div2
   repeat with y = 1 to the number of lines of temp
      put item 1 of line y of temp / div1 & "," & item 2 of line y of temp / div2 into line y of temp
   end repeat
   put temp into fld "tresult"
   put the ticks - aa
end mouseUp

Took about 2.5 seconds.

If that is too slow, what if you added a third item for each of the lines in your data field, such that the lines were numbered:

If you had:

3,6
4,7
5,8

Make it into:

1,3,6
2,4,7
3,5,8

Now you can use an array, and the ordering can be recovered since the lines contain unique identifiers.

Craig Newman