OT: On-Rev antispam (& reCAPTCHA)

Nonsanity form at nonsanity.com
Mon Mar 7 13:07:56 EST 2011

I think it's a case of poor quality control on the part of the spammers. The
operate in such volume, and often use trojans to make unwitting accomplices
of other victims, that one mistake in setting up their system can have vast
consequences.

If you forget to load your URL into the trojan, or it gets stripped out
somehow when duplicating itself to another patsy that "clicked here for
naked pictures", then you're going to see lots of activity with no real
point.

Of course, evolution operates in any forum that has replication, variation,
and competition. So a trojan that isn't putting out a working link to the
trojan download page isn't replicating itself successfully, and therefore
isn't being selected for in future generations. It's a non-viable mutation.
:)

You might be getting a lot of these at the moment because the current
non-viable mutation is active. Later, you won't get any. I've had bouts of
similar pointless spam-postings in the past, though none currently.

Right now I'm getting the "hey, I just took an IQ test <here>, you should
too!" instant messages from a few of my contacts. I could block them, but
its fun to use this as a sort of mentalist trick with my friends. "My friend
is IMing me about an IQ test he just took. I know it's the middle of the day
but *rub temples mystically* I BET he's about to take a shower..."

(If you respond to the bot, it eventually says it's going to jump in the
shower, to end the conversation. It also will respond to the word "hacked"
by claiming it isn't. :) Eliza, eat your fiscal heart out.)

 ~ Chris Innanen
 ~ Nonsanity