A curious case

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 2 11:26:57 EST 2011

Andre Garzia wrote:
> I tend to  work on the same way. longer forms makes shorter understanding
> time. I'd rather write more and understand more than write faster and then
> one week from now, be completely lost in nested mazes

Well said.

And sometimes lengthy deeply-nested IFs are good candidates for a switch
block.

I once stumbled across two tips about code style that have been very
helpful:

1. If a given function has nested IFs more than three levels deep, it
may be a good candidate for breaking it up into smaller functions.

2. If a function is longer than can be viewed in one screen, it may be a
good candidate for breaking it up into smaller functions.

Sometimes those can't be applied for sound practical reasons, but where
they can oh boy does it make code more readable.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World