Following up on shell(locale) problem

Peter Haworth pete at mollysrevenge.com
Tue Mar 1 21:10:48 EST 2011

That's definitely an option if I don't find a solution to getting the locale info from within LiveCode.  Unfortunately, I know nothing about python. I've been sent some pretty cool LC scripts to do this formatting in response to my post about it.  I'm almost at the point where I will just have the user enter these prefs into my app then use the scripts people have given me to do the fomatting.

Pete Haworth

On Mar 1, 2011, at 5:42 PM, Mike Bonner wrote:

> Yeah, was just pointing out that since os x has python installed by default
> (right?) could include a small python script and just feed it numbers
> through shell anytime you wanted a currency format. Not sure how fast it
> would be for lots of conversions though. /shrug
>
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Peter Haworth <pete at mollysrevenge.com>wrote:
>
>> Thanks Mike.  I'm glad to hear there is a programming language out there
>> that actually uses the locale information.  Unfortunately, there isn;t
>> anything in LiveCode, for numbers and currency that is.
>>

>> Pete Haworth
>>

>> On Mar 1, 2011, at 4:52 PM, Mike Bonner wrote:
>>
>>> Well if you can figure out how to get locale to work from an lc shell,
>> there
>>> are interesting things that can be done in that vein using python.
>>>
>>> If LANG is set to en_GB, and locale is actually working, you can feed it
>>> a python script such as this
>>>
>>> #!/usr/bin/python
>>> import locale -- for locale stuff of course
>>> import sys -- so we can get argv
>>> tVal = float(sys.argv[1]) -- sets argv[1] type to float and puts in tval