force exit of mouseDown?

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Jun 23 22:18:29 EDT 2011

If I've got what you're trying to do right then I'd try the following
approach

1. set two script locals on mouseDown - the first that the mouse is down
(pDown) and the second the starting mouseLoc (pLoc)

2. in a mouseMove hander, check if pDown is true and if it is then show a
'selection' graphic (you could have its opaque property set to false or
apply a blend to it) and set the rect of it based on pLoc and the x and y
coordinates passed with mouseMove. This should show your user to see what
would be selected. Additionally, you could iterate through the objects in
your grid to see which ones coincided with the selection and hilite/unhilite
them as your selection changed.

3. in a mouseUp handler, check if your selection graphic is visible and if
it is then (a) get the rect of the selection graphic, (b) hide it and (c)
create a list of individual objects that coincide with it.

4. again in the mouseUp handler set your pDown local to false, lock your
screen and delete all the objects in your list. You probably need a
mouseRelease handler as well - just call your mouseUp handler in it.

HTH,

Terry...