[OT] My first impressions of Chromebook

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Mon Jun 20 17:58:03 EDT 2011

Andre,

I think the Chromebook really competes well with EPCDs (Everday Portable
Computing Devices) like iPad more than a notebook. I understand it's a
direct competitor to netbooks, but it has more of a full notebook computer
experience as far as speed and display go. It truly is larger than a
netbook-- in fact it's larger than the small MacBook Air, but it weighs
about the same.

I'm defining EPCDs as devices you can take with you and use all day long,
with instant on and instant internet access. Unfortunately, few if any
notebooks really qualify.

For instance, here I am at a Mexican food diner after finishing a late lunch
with my wife-- she's left and I thought I'd sit here and check my mail and
deal with any business issues which have come up. I can do all this now MUCH
faster than previously with my iPad because my touch typing is so much
better than my iPad typing.

I figure I spend about 80% of my iPad time doing internet related stuff--
emails, RSS feeds, web browsing, etc.. I can do all this easily from my
Chromebook, PLUS now I can actually work with Google Docs, too. The Android
and iPad GDocs implementation is sad at best and for the most part just
wrecks the formatting for other viewers after you edit something on an
iPad/Android. Ugh.

Still, no Skype and no GTM is big.