Unicode text in custom properties

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jun 20 10:34:43 EDT 2011

Slava Paperno wrote:

> Has anyone successfully stored and retrieved non-Roman text using a custom
> property?
>
> Is my syntax wrong?
>
> get the cDefaultText of field "MyField"
> set the unicodeText of field "MyField" to it

This may be helpful or it may be a red herring, but FWIW I've had
robust, predictable results with custom properties but not so much with
unicodeText.

So I think your custom prop stuff is probably fine, and any issue you're
seeing may be related to any of the many anomalies in the current
LiveCode implementation of Unicode (being overhauled as we speak, so
rest assured this stuff will get a LOT easier in the future).

Instead of using unicodeText I often use htmlText.

It's my understanding that htmlText delivers representations of both
Latin-ISO 8859-1 (the engine's native encoding) and Unicode, even when
mixed.

So far I've had good results with it, and since it's a plain-text
representation it offers the opportunity to parse and modify it easily
if needed.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World