[OT] My first impressions of Chromebook

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jun 20 10:08:35 EDT 2011

Chipp Walters wrote:
> For those of you interested in Google's new, and fascinating Chromebook,
> here's my first thoughts after spending the weekend with one:
>
> http://blog.chipp.com/chromebook-first-impressions/

Good read, Chipp.  Thanks for posting that.

On this item from your post:

    There is no Netflix. Yet. For those of you hooked on Netflix,
    it’s rumored to be in the works, but currently there is no
    way to play Netflix. I suspect this is because the OS is
    based on Linux and for some reason, Netflix has some specific
    requirements which only run on MacOS and Windows and iOS.

There are a number of threads in the Ubuntu forums about this.  Turns
out it's because NetFlix' content providers require DRM systems like
Microsoft Silverlight, which aren't currently supported on Linux and
Linux derivatives like Android and Chrome OS.  Given how much money MS
spends keeping Linux at bay, I doubt we'll ever see a Silverlight
implementation for those platforms.

Rumor has it that Netflix is in negotiations with their content
providers to find alternative DRM methods which are more universally
supported across platforms.  Apparently Netflix wants this to happen,
but their providers are moving slowly.

So with any luck we'll see Netflix available for Chrome OS and Linux in
the coming months.

Finger crossed.  I'm building a MythTV system for my home and the DRM
issue is the only thing holding back our subscription to Netflix.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World