Unicode text in custom properties

Slava Paperno slava.paperno at cornell.edu
Sun Jun 19 21:21:52 EDT 2011

I was advised to store my Cyrillic constants in custom properties of stack
objects. I forget if it was a personal recommendation or something I read in
a forum. But when I type a Russian word in a custom property box of Property
Inspector, then close and reopen Inspector, my text becomes unreadable. It
looks like all UTF16 strings look in the Message box and Variables panel in
LC. This is bad enough, but things get worse when I try to put a Cyrillic
custom property string into a Unicode field: if the string is all one word,
all is well. But if it's more than one word, the spaces between the words
are eliminated, some of the punctuation is lost, and part of the string is
displayed with mostly Chinese characters. In other words, the field looks
like a typical byte-shifted display in LC.

Has anyone successfully stored and retrieved non-Roman text using a custom
property?

Is my syntax wrong?

get the cDefaultText of field "MyField"
set the unicodeText of field "MyField" to it

This is not crucial because I can always store my constants in a text file,
but I wonder if I'm doing something wrong here.

Thanks,

Slava