the mouseText and Unicode: the Russian letter R

BNig niggemann at uni-wh.de
Sat Jun 18 18:12:26 EDT 2011

Slava,

although Роберт is a nice guy he must give in:

I tried with

Саша, Наташа, Митя, Роберт, Robert, Jeffrey, and Соня Петрова, СССР, ССРРСС
Слава
Паперно, Лора Баглай, Макс, Паперно
 Роберт, СССР, ССРРСС

-------------------
on mouseUp
   get word 4 of the clickCharChunk
   put it into tSelPos
   put 0 into tStartSel

   repeat with i = tSelPos down to 1
      put the htmlText of char i of field 1 into tHTML
      if  (tHTML contains  "<p> <" or tHTML is "<p></p>" or tHTML contains
">,<") then
         put i into tStartSel
         exit repeat
      end if
   end repeat

   put the number of chars of field 1 into tEndSel
   repeat with i = tSelPos to the number of chars of field 1
      put the htmlText of char i of field 1 into tHTML
      put char i of tData into taChar
      if  (tHTML contains  "<p> <" or tHTML is "<p></p>" or tHTML contains
">,<") then
         put i into tEndSel
         exit repeat
      end if
   end repeat

   select char tStartSel + 1 to tEndSel -1 of me

   put the htmlText of  the selectedtext into tWordClicked
   -- put tWordClicked into field 3
   set the htmlText of field 2 to tWordClicked
end mouseUp
-------------------

please watch out for linebreaks

selecting a word of either the unicode kind or the roman kind works with
above code.

I now test the htmlText for space, return and comma. I scan from the
clickCharChunk up and down until any of these are true. Then I exit the scan
and 'declare' what is between a word, select the word in the field and get
the html of the selectedText.
Should also work with the unicodeText of the selectedText instead of the
htmlText I am using now.

If I look at the chartoNum of Р (russian R) I see it is made of ascii 32 and
ascii 9. ASCII 32 being a space maybe that is a clue to why it throws
Livecode off. I would consider this a, well, anomaly and can only hope for
Livecode to eventually support Unicode more completely.

you said "Curiouser and curiouser..."
I would say "uglier and uglier..."

Kind regards

Bernd