horizontal and vertical scrolling

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 16 09:47:03 EDT 2011

Timothy Miller wrote:

 > Is there any rational reason that native scrollbars can be enabled
 > for fields and groups but not for cards or stacks?

Okay, I'll give it a try, more seriously this time:

As I alluded to in a lighthearted way, scrolling a card by itself isn't
something that can be apparent; only when you put objects on the card
will scrolling have a noticeable effect.

As much as I've enjoyed SuperCard's scroll property for its window
objects (its equivalent to LC's stacks) over the years, there's a
downside to scrolling only the entire window.  Sometimes you just want
to have a portion of the window scroll, and now and then you may want to
have two or more independently-scrolling areas.

So using groups as the mechanism to provide scrolling seems a reasonable
solution:  It accounts for a wide range of layout possibilities, and if
you only want one scrolling region which is the full content area of the
window it can do that too.

In some ways SC's full-window scroll is a bit simpler to work with, but
as UI conventions evolve and the world is moving away from multi-window
layouts to single-window layouts with multiple panes (think Adobe
Premier vs iMovie), the flexibility of using groups becomes ever more
valuable.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World