horizontal and vertical scrolling

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Wed Jun 15 19:58:28 EDT 2011

Hi Jacque,

Thanks very much. I understand the arithmetic in your function. You just made my life a little easier, as you have several times before.

If I understand your article on functions correctly, a handler or a script can do anything a function can do. However, scripts containing functions are easier to create and maintain. Also, functions are easier to repair and maintain, because they are not embedded in complex scripts.

E.g.

Put random(99) into myVar

invokes a native LiveCode function

If I thought about it, I could probably figure out a way to write a script or a handler that would generate random numbers, but it would be messy, and it would be silly to put the script in more than one place.

Am I getting the right idea?

There's another thingie, sort of like a function... I think it also returns a value or list, but I can't recall what it's called and can't find it in the dictionary under "control structures," so, never mind.

Best regards,

Tim