Why No Built in GetMyIP call in LiveCode?

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 21:21:37 EDT 2011

> How does the matchText call know just to capture the IP address in
> the variable retVal?

Okay, you said you wanted to know what is going on, so here it is.

Modifier at the beginning of a statement
(?s)
says that the '.' char CAN match a return char, thus the match can
span 2 or more lines
The 's' in this case does not mean 'space char' or the literal 's' char.

When the scanning begins and the 'inet ' portion is found to match,
then the next condition is tried

The () parens are telling the engine to capture any chars that meet
the conditions inside and assign them to the first variable
specified.  In this case, it is 'retVal'
If there were a second set of (), then those chars would be assigned
to the second variable specified.

So the first ? has nothing to do with space chars.
   it is an operator that affects the logic of the scan
    depending on the chars inside the parens (?s)

And the second ? has nothing to do with space chars.
It is a different operator that says to the (.*) scan to be UN-greedy.
This means, return the shortest version of a match, rather than the
longest possible one.

The longest match would be "addr:10.58.0.91  Bcast:10.58.0.255"
- because the logic is 'find the longest match that allows a string
that ends in a space'.

Note carefully that the regex ends with    (.*?) "     < a trailing
space.
If the ? was omitted, then the longest match that can end in a space
char would be the string that includes Bcast.

We don't want the longest string, so we need to tell regex either
              (?s)        (.*?)
-- or --
              (?Us)     (.*)
-- both say 'ungreedy' or 'shortest match'

Both return a string that only includes the chars between the (), so
both return "addr:10.58.0.91" without a trailing space.
Final spec is to find a string that begins with "inet "
and ends with a single space, then
return the chars after the first space and before the last space, and
make it the shortest string you can find, not the longest.
Oh, and the (?s) says that the shortest string can include return chars.
In this case, we are working with a two-line value where every char is
on the second line, so the (?s) is not essential, but does no harm.

--******-- variation you might want to use
This ungreedy regex would return retVal = only the ip address

put "(?U)inet (.*):(.*)" & space into regEx
put \
      matchText(tEthernetConfig, regEx, ipLabel, retVal) \
       into wasSuccessfulTrueOrFalse

Note the ':' separator & the extra variable we don't use 'ipLabel'
   ipLabel = "addr"
   retVal = '10.58.0.91'

Hope this is crystal clear on a Friday night.
Regex is an xtalk language where the x stands for extraterrestrial.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas