lack of Mac OS X intuition: system menu

Slava Paperno slava at lexiconbridge.com
Sun Jul 31 12:14:55 EDT 2011

Paolo, Mark--thanks for these tips. Combinations of "Set as stack Menu bar"
and "Preview in Menu bar" now work as you say. I think I know what's going
on, though. When the IDE is started by launching the *.livecode stack file,
the stack starts in the Run mode. At this point the menu bar is my custom
menu bar (a group), and by clicking the Browse tool, I cannot restore the
IDE menu bar. Conversely, if I start the IDE first and then open that stack
file, I have control, as you describe.

I've noticed other strange things with 4.6.3 on this PPC G5. For example, if
I build the PPC Mac OS standalone with the 4.6.2 in Windows and copy it to
the G5 for testing, the menu bar in the standalone works as expected. But if
I build the PPC standalone in the 4.6.3 on the G5, and then test it on the
same machine, its menu bar consists only of the one item that the system
puts in (with the About and Quit commands). My custom menu bar is not used.
Weird.

I'll have to experiment some more, or just give up on PPC and always author
in Windows. The bigger problem at the moment is that the revBrowser on the
Mac doesn't display Unicode Cyrillic. For each double-byte character it
shows two single-byte characters, even though the same Web pages are
displayed fine in revBrowser Windows, and also in Safari on the same Mac.
The charset meta tag is correct, and I don't know what else to check. I'll
go through the forums.

Gratefully,

Slava