AW: OT: I want to buy Lion

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 15:23:03 EDT 2011

On 07/28/2011 08:02 PM, Pete Haworth wrote:
> This is not about people who do not want to upgrade, it's about people who
> do want to upgrade, are willing to pay, need to support the users of their
> applications, but cannot because of Apple's upgrade methodology.  Sounds
> like they will provide a "hard copy" method to upgrade eventually.
>
> Pete

I don't know what is wrong with me; but reading this thread I really do
want to get back to a very nice All-In-One Performa, running Mac OS 8.6
that currently is "resting" in my attic in my house in Scotland.

I think of Mac OS 8.5 - 9.2.2, and 10.3 - 10.5 as really rather good,
insofar as one could do a myriad of things without too much bother
(especially when I remember I did my whole Windows-based MSc course work
on 10.3 with Windows XP running in Virtual PC).

I am well aware that 10.0 to 10.2 were intermediate builds, which apple,
naughtily charged people for; let's hope "Lion" is the same sort of
thing, and they don't manage to lose loads of customers before they
produce some sort of mature "Mac OS XI".

I think that Apple are digging themselves a hole. Microsoft, for all
their many, manifest sins, have tried their best re backwards
compatibility so that an OS upgrade doesn't necessarily entail thousands
of bucks, quid, euros, лева, рубли or whatever in ancilliary upgrades.

Iff I buy a new mac Mini it will ONLY be for one reason; to run LiveCode
(face it, the
Linux version still has some hiccups); all other software would be open
source, which on the whole runs better on systems running Linux.