Where does survive the inventive user?

Pierre Sahores psahores at free.fr
Thu Jul 28 07:30:40 EDT 2011

Dear All,

Computer programming is born with the talent of a few designers capable of creating "paterns" accessible to smaller processors. That was more than fifty years ago and any computer program was running in the pure logic of a Turing machine.

In the late 80's, Apple, Oracle, IBM and others were afraid that the increased performance of hardware and ultra high level programming languages ​​gives rise to a breed of ultra creative designers and developers capable to break their market control and distribution software rules.

They fight since then to manipulate the developers and lock them into the roles of pure technical performers. They fear that developers become production program artists and "writers", free of their intentions and fear the creative quality and performance results of their achievements.

I sincerely believe that their desire to control the freedom of initiative and economy of means - that is dear to all those who have already understood that the technique is a simple tool for creativity - will fail like all the idiot strategies whose, before them, thought they would manipulate for their own interests only the market of painting, literature and music by controlling the manufacture of brushes, paper production and ownership of concert halls.

They sought to turn away the best functional programming ​​and procedural languages in trying to intoxicant us with the supposed superiority of the sterile logic of the UML and object-oriented programming methodologies.

I truly believe they will soon fail and that cloud computing is one of the last rounds they seize to lock consumers and developers in their net monopolistic business as bankers try to lock in sheep production the yoke of the proletarianization of the agricultural world.

They force us to realize that the ways we through the web and are sharing our knowledge with each other helps us all to become designers and artists of the information age.

There is too much to be done for supporters of the lowest common denominator of market control by the monopolistic structure of supply to prevent us do as we please in the interest of any particular customer.

The cloud is just a hollow phishing marketing idea for lambda. Saas and Web development is fortunately too rich and no one needs to prevent us from making it the largest territory of conceptual and creative freedom. We have to be proud to position ourselves away from all attempts at market manipulation as the writers of the information economy.

The global economic crisis is our ally. Customers also reflect and begin to understand what we can offer them by selling or renting them the information systems they need rather than selling their prices and software that stretch their budgets without ever reaching their needs for the next five years.

Programming for the Web with LiveCode desktop, LiveCode server and the LiveCode web plugin, with SunnYperl (Unicode, SSL,Oracle,...), with RevIgniter, with the open-source DB, demons, etc... and all those wonderful libraries and methodologies that we share since the first steps of the xTalk programming birth makes us very special birds.

Thank you All. Thank you for continuing to work and act in a spirit very similar which animates our colleagues of the open source community.

Apple, Oracle, IBM or Microsoft don't have any interest to oppose to those who, through their ideas and generosity, are more than ever, working to develop the economic models of the post-crisis information age.

Friendly yours,

Pierre

PS : When you says, Andre, that "mobile computing is consumer computing." i can just applaud and i hope that our sweet mothership will invest and become stronger and stronger over the years because the LC desktop and server products line + associated services.