OT: gmail two factor authentication

Maarten Koopmans maarten.koopmans at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 16:30:10 EDT 2011

All,

I just got a nice box from Google explaining that there was suspicious
account activity from Mexico (I live in Amsterdam). I changed my
password, enabled two-factor authentication using their iPhone app and
use app-specific passwords.

Also, I changed ALL passwords of all online services I use to new,
unique ones. My guess: it took one malicious web page, even though I
am up-to-fate with every component....

Anyway, if your a GMail user I strongly suggest switching to their
two-factor authentication (meaning that you provide a uniquely
generated number every time you login). I mean... if it can happen to
a careful user like me who used to work on identity management - it
literally can happen to anyone.

I knew that - but I did change all my passwords and checked my credit
card view (which is luckily "live") after the adrenalin rush.

Just thought to share the experience. We all read the horror stories,
I can confirm them now first-hand (though little damage has been done
so far AFAIK).

1) use unique passwords per service
2) use two factor authN on Google - it's a great add-on to the service

--Maarten