Lion problem report and fix

Pete Haworth lists.pete at haworths.org
Fri Jul 22 12:57:32 EDT 2011

I don't think the rules have changed at all if I understand things
correctly.  Apple have just made it more difficult for people to abide by
their own guidelines.  They say Application Support is the place to put
certain types of user files (and I assume that applies to both the user and
system locations of that folder), then stop you from following their
guidelines without jumping through hoops.

>From the description, I'd say that SQL database files would be a good
candidate to put in Application Support?  If so and I have a database I want
to be available to all users of a specific Mac, it seems like the system
Application Support folder would be the place to put it.  As an admin user,
I would expect to be able to do that with the usual prompt for Admin user
password and not have to issue Unix commands from Terminal.

It's not the end of the world, just another installation gotcha that has to
be dealt with.

Pete