OT: It's Android Jim, but not as we know it (what CPUs does Livecode compile to?)

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Thu Jul 21 17:52:59 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 6:36 PM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>wrote:

> On 7/21/11 4:13 PM, Bernard Devlin wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> This is a question for those of you who have sallied forth into the
>> world of Android development (or, who have at least considered it).
>>
>> When Livecode creates an app for Android deployment, what CPU
>> architecture does Livecode compile for?
>>
>> My reason for asking is that I like the look of the Asus Transformer.
>> It is an Android tablet that docks into a keyboard.  But the processor
>> is the Tegra.  I'm guessing that Livecode will not be compiling apps
>> for such an unusual processor.
>>

> I don't know. But if the device can download and run apps from the Android
> market then it should be able to run anything LiveCode compiles. As I
> understand it, the processor is immaterial, it's the OS that counts. If the
> processor runs a standard Android distribution then it should run
> LiveCode-compiled Android apps.

Not Really Jacque,

Applications that target the dalvik virtual machine will run accross
different CPUs but as I understand Android has some NDK thing like a Native
CPU Specific Development Kit where you can compile C/C++ code such as the
LiveCode engine and call it from a dalvik based application. As I
understand, LiveCode is probably being built natively for the ARM CPU on
Android and maybe x86 to run on the Android Emulator (or the Android
Emulator is emulating ARM).

This is my guess, I may be wrong though....