[Android] Why so quiet? Who's developing Android apps?

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Thu Jul 14 13:11:49 EDT 2011

OK then let's get noisy

I purchased LC almost exclusively for IOS and Android. LC seems like a
marvelous development platform so far. My first Android app progressing.
After I have it fully functional I will fire up the MAC Book to generate the
iOS app and load it onto the iPad for testing and flush out platform
specific issues

My first app uses SQLite and I must say that it works seamlessly on the IDE
as well as on the Android HW. I still have some major road blocks. I will
not be testing on iOS until the Android issues are ironed out.

Thanks in advance for all you help and insight. I am running the IDE on Win
XP SP3 32 bit. Testing on a Droid X running 2.2 Froyo. I have not updated to
2.3 Gingerbread because no root exploit has been developed and without
access to the elusive data folder I would be working blind.

Bugs?

1) In desktop shortcut for LC, the "Start in" folder points to "C:\Program
Files\RunRev\LiveCode 4.6.x\". This seems normal enough. But if you specify
a Keystore file in the Android standalone applications screen the IDE can't
find when building the app it unless you change the "Start in" folder to the
folder where the .livecode file lives and restart LC. Also if you change the
current directory to anything else in your scripts while testing, again the
keystore file can't be found and LC has to be restarted. Also when doing a
"Save as" the default folder is not where you opened the .livecode file from
but is instead pointed to the LC shortcut "Start in" folder or the folder
one last changed the directory to in a script.

2) If you try to exit the app via a close stack on the Android HW the app
freezes. If you start the app again you get a black screen. Then if you try
to test a new version(via test button) the HW locks up and only a battery
removal will get you running again.

3) One still seems to need the old plug-in to see error messages and results
of a put on the Android HW. Is this going to be integrated into the IDE?
Filtering messages so you only see events associated with the app would be
helpful. But the bug here is on a crash the stack dump exceeds the scrolling
history length and the beginning of the crash has scrolled off the top of
the history.

4) SQLite has stopped working in 4.6.3 (dp1,2,3). If you do a
"revOpenDatabase("sqlite", tDatabasePath, , , , )" the app just quits on the
Android HW. And the origin of the of the crash has scrolled off the log
viewers history. The IDE still works fine. 4.6.2 works fine.

5) There are still references to iOS in the Android release notes in
4.6.3(DP3). See Pg 14 and 19.

6) On the Android HW I can set the directory to the virtual
specialfolders("engine") and list files and folders. If I try to set the
folder to a 'specialfolders("engine") & Slash & "subfolder"' as documented
in the release notes, the script just dies with no error.

Questions:

1) Where is the list of (in VB ez) "properties" and "methods" for objects?
Maybe I'm missing it in the docs.

2) Where is the list of possible LC internal events for each object? Such as
openCard, preopenCard, mouseUp.... Some are obvious but others are obscure
to me. I pick many of them up from this forum and online examples.

3) What event fires off when the use hits the physical Android "Menu" key?

4) My first card is a splash screen with an image object. Image displays in
the IDE but even when I include it in the copy files the app on the Android
HW just shows a blank screen. I have seen it in the APK assets folder and in
the root of specialfolders("engine") virtual folder. But still can't find
out where the app is looking for it. Should I just be loading the image into
the image object at run-time?

8) Is there a way to list files and folders without actually setting the
current directory to the folder and then listing files or folders?

Looking to the Future:

9) When will socket communication be available on Android?

10) When will ODBC database access be available on Android?

11) Any update for GPS access on Android? Have the zip==>lat/lon database.
Know the great circle equations. Just need the lat/lon from the GPS.

Also is this the appropriate list to post these on? Should I post one email
per question or stack them up like this email? Just want to follow the
proper protocol.

Thanks

Ralph