default textsize and textfont?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jul 6 00:50:54 EDT 2011

On 7/5/11 7:58 PM, Terry Judd wrote:

> OK - I think we're going around in circles. All I was trying to say was that
> for me getting the effective textFont and textSize of a new stack returns
> the appropriate values for the system font and size on OSX. Given that you
> can't (easily) change the system font then you shouldn't need to do anything
> to match your stack's font settings to the system settings on OSX.

Right. Richard was explaining that the IDE sets that up for you, it
isn't in the engine. On startup, the IDE sets the font and size of the
Home stack to appropriate OS defaults. That's where font inheritance
will come from when you get the "effective" font properties.

If Home doesn't have a font set, then you get the engine default when
you query the effective font properties. The engine defaults to
Helvetica 14.

THe upshoot is that the effective textfont in the IDE is the one that's
been set up in Home on startup. But if you depend on that method in a
standalone, you'll get Helvetica 14 every time. In a standalone the fix
is to do the same setup for your stack that the IDE does for you when it
starts up.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com