What is the LiveCode equivalent property for the HTML <a title="some hover text"> parameter?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Jul 5 12:35:22 EDT 2011

On 7/5/11 11:22 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 7/5/11 11:15 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Keith Clarke wrote:
>>
>> > I was using the <a> link description as an analogy to describe
>> > the required behaviour. It's the effect of a tooltip on text
>> > within a field that I want to create (and it's good to know
>> > that this is not a standard thing that I have simply overlooked).
>> >
>> > I've tried the message watcher but there don't seem to be any
>> > messages generated when the mouse traverses a change in textStyle
>> > - i.e. the cursor doesn't change to a finger when over a link.
>> > I hadn't really noticed this before but it seems strange as the
>> > default behaviour. Is there maybe a property switch to enable
>> > more orthodox cursor behaviour when over links in text?
>>
>> LC's htmlText supports the name attribute, so you can use something like
>> this:
>>
>> <a name="Some text you want to display">Link Label</a>
>
> I take back what I just said about inventing tag names, it doesn't seem
> to work now. I could have sworn it used to. So your method is better.

I remember what I was thinking of now. It isn't the tag you can
customize, it's the URI. So you can do something like this:

Then use what Richard posted to grab the linktext of the mousechunk to
see if it contains "tooltip":

on mousemove x,y
   get the linktext of the mousechunk
   if it contains "tooltip" then
     set the tooltip of me to "This is a tip"
   else
     set the tooltip of me to empty
   end if
end mousemove