What is the LiveCode equivalent property for the HTML <a title="some hover text"> parameter?

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 07:59:27 EDT 2011

On Jul 5, 2011, at 4:41 AM, Keith Clarke wrote:
> Hi folks,
> Trying to replicate HTML <a> links within a LiveCode field. The docs
> describe 'set the textStyle to link' to create the link <a/> tag
> itself and 'set the linktext to <uri>' provides the 'href' parameter.
>
> But is there an equivalent of the HTML link title parameter at the
> field/text level? There doesn't seem to be a linkTitle property -
> and Tooltip is an object-level property.
>
> Indeed, are mouse-hover tooltips within a field supported as a
> native feature?

This topic comes up on the list once in a while.
Don't confuse HTML and the htmlText as being equivalent.
The htmlText is a subset of tags that mainly relate to formatting and
linking.  These are not robust or complete.  You might search the
archives for threads that dealt with these limitations.

I can't find and don't recall ever seeing and hover link or tooltip
inside a field in either Hypercard, Supercard, Metacard, Rev, or
Livecode.  If you want text displays that are compliant, the
RevBrowser is the tool to use.

By the way, i don't recall ever seeing
     <a title="some hover text">
so it is nice to pick up a new trick :-)

Jim Ault
Las Vegas