System Date/Time Format Problems

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Jul 3 22:01:45 EDT 2011

On 7/3/11 4:58 PM, Pete wrote:
> I think I already mentioned this but I've entered QC report number 9604
> about all this.  There's various problems involved:
>
> 1) LC needs one more keyword so it can deal with the 4 date/time formats
> used by OS X.
> 2) There's a bug in the "abbrev system time" - it returns LC's default
> abbrev format, not the format in any of the OS X user preferences.
> 3) There's an inconsistency between the long system date and the long system
> time - the date returned is in the OS X full format, and the time is in the
> OS X medium format.
>
> These issues occur anywhere you refer to system dates and times, including
> the convert command.

They aren't bugs, they're legacy formats that go back 20 years, and
changing them would break a lot of stacks. When these date/time formats
were implemented they matched the ones in Mac OS 6 and 7, and probably
still matched in OS 9, though I don't remember.

So rather than changing those, we should get new formats that represent
more modern system options. This would be a feature request, so it would
be good to update your report to reflect that.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com