on-rev upload limits and Amazon S3 as an alternative

Martin Koob mkoob at rogers.com
Fri Jan 28 18:30:05 EST 2011

One other thing.

I noticed from the Amazon S3 docs about the signature of the request should
be
"The URL encoding of the Base64 encoding of the HMAC-SHA1 of StringToSign."

http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/index.html?RESTAuthentication.html

so instead of
return urlencode(_oauthHMACSHA1(stringToSign, AWS_SK))

I tried base64encoding the HMAC-SHA1 digest

return urlencode(base64encode(_oauthHMACSHA1(stringToSign, AWS_SK)))

That did not work.

I also tried encoding the stringtosign with UTF8 before the HMACSHA1 digest

return urlencode(base64encode(_oauthHMACSHA1(uniEncode(stringToSign,"UTF8"),
AWS_SK)))

still no luck.

I think there are three possible sources of the error.
-my string to sign is wrong (I have checked with the docs and from my
understanding it is correct.)
-my encoding is wrong(I am following the one that works with Mark Smith's
Lib S3 Stack)
-the _oauthHMACSHA1 handler  (is this only for oAuth and does something
different need to be done for S3?)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Martin