Web PlugIn Install Fails because it thinks a browser is active (not)

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Jan 28 04:06:53 EST 2011

  I doing some testing of the web browser plug in here among our small
group of 20.

This is all on Mac OS X 10.6.6

The good news is, someone was prompted that they had an old version of
the browser plug in and they need to update.

The bad news is, when they clicked OK, the installer did something (they
think) but gave zero feed back so the user was left with that "gee, did
it really work?" feeling.

Subsequently the stack I deployed did work for him, so he assumed the
upgrade ran. But the installer really needs to have a visual feed back
mechanism and a "success" dialog at the end of the upgrade (assuming it
actually did upgrade otherwise the stack may have been running on the
old version of the plug in)

Second User writes me saying:

"The plugin won't install. Says I have a browser open (I don't, same
issue even after a reboot).

Oh well. Could have been neat!"

Sivakatirswami