$PATH

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Wed Jan 26 18:02:58 EST 2011

from what I understand, the shell command creates a new shell session which not that of the terminal. As a result, you may have to rebuild $path correctly. Here is what I do to put the TeX executables in the shell's path:
------------------------

on checkTeXPATH -- for MacTeX
   put $PATH into theShellPATH
   if "/usr/local/bin:" is not in theShellPATH then -- for Ghostcript
      put "/usr/local/bin:" & $PATH into $PATH
   end if
   if "/usr/texbin:" is not in theShellPATH then -- for pdftex etc..
      put "/usr/texbin:" & $PATH into $PATH
   end if
end checkTeXPATH

HTH