File naming convention

Calvin Waterbury cjw at eml.cc
Tue Jan 25 13:50:22 EST 2011

Hi David,

The first thing to understand about Windows® file names you can't use
the following...

\ / : * ? " < > |

Please take a look at this page...
http://www.portfoliofaq.com/pfaq/FAQ00352.htm
... highlight the word "period" in your browser.

Here is the word straight from the horse's mouth...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Aside form the above, here is what my own test results yielded...

>     1. docs/hello.txt.html
This will be interpreted as a the folder "doc" holding a single file
named "hello.txt.html"
>     2. docs/hello.txt/index.html
This would be interpreted as folder "docs" containing another folder
"hello.txt" which contained the file  "index.html".
>     3. docs/hello_txt/index.html
(Same as above)
> and for the image file it would be something like:
>
>     1. docs/hello.png/index.html
(Again, same as above)

Please note I have only tested this on Windows 7.  If you need more
specific testing, I'll try and help if I can.

Fair winds,
Calvin